Background Information about Deadlines
- Deadline/Litigation Chains tab - great for deadlines that are dependent on other deadlines, hence the name "chains," as in chain reaction. For example, when deadline A is completed, deadline B will automatically be created and due in a set number of days after. Click here for more information about deadline chains.
- Deadline (with Reminders) field - great for independent deadlines that apply to most (if not all) cases. Click here to watch a video about the deadline field type.
- Reminders tab - great for independent deadlines that are unique to a case. Because these reminders are intended more as a reminders for a unique circumstance, they follow the default reminder schedule and cannot be assigned a different schedule. Click here to watch a video about the reminders tab.
Creating, Editing, or Deleting a Reminder Schedule
1) Navigate to the Menu > Advanced > Reminder Schedules. All firms have a default reminder schedule that is created by the Filevine system. It cannot be edited, but it acts as a template when creating a new, customizable schedule. If there have been no custom schedules created yet, you will need to first create one. This is done by clicking on the + button. If you're editing an existing schedule, select it from the dropdown.
2) Add a reminder by entering in a number of days and selecting a reference point. For reminders to be sent out as the due date approaches, select "Before the due date." If the reminder should be sent out for overdue deadlines, select "After the due date." If this reminder should be sent out on the due date itself, then select the last option, "On due date." Click on the + sign to add the reminder according to your configurations.
3) Remove a deadline by clicking on the X of any existing deadline. Doing so will instantly delete an existing reminder. Reminders can always be added back or removed at a later time.
Assigning a Reminder Schedule
As previously stated, only Deadline/Litigation chains and Deadline (with Reminders) fields can send reminders according to a custom schedule; the Reminders tab cannot have a custom schedule.
This requires that you have access to the advanced tool, Deadline Chains.
1) Navigate to the Menu > Advanced > Deadline Chains. See this article to learn how to about the advanced tool, Deadline Chains.
2) Each chain of the deadline chain can have its own reminder schedule. Simply click on the dropdown under Reminder Schedule and select the appropriate schedule. Please keep in mind this doesn't affect the due date itself, only the reminders sent as the due date approaches (and is missed).
3) Click the check-mark to save the change.
Deadlines (with Reminders) Fields
This requires that you have access to the advanced tool, Customs Editor.
1) Navigate to the Menu > Advanced > Customs Editor. See this article to learn more about the Customs Editor.
2) Find or add the Deadline (with Reminders) field and open its settings.
3) Click on the Reminder Schedule dropdown menu and select the appropriate schedule.
4) Click Create or Update to save the change.
#how do I create a deadline